Southland and Central Otago’s Leading Residential Real Estate Lawyers
We understand that buying and selling your home is a big deal. We understand that your home may be your most valuable asset. We understand that the process of buying and selling your home can be daunting, particularly for first home buyers.
We are here to simplify the process for you. We provide quality advice without the complicated and confusing jargon. Contact one of our experienced residential real estate specialists to discuss how we can help take the stress out of buying and selling your home.
If you are buying a home, we have prepared a checklist to help you with your first steps in that process:
Before you begin looking for a home to buy:
If you are a first home buyer, you can
- Apply for pre-approval for your KiwiSaver First Home Withdrawal by contacting your KiwiSaver provider
- Qpply for pre-approval for the First Home Grant by contacting Kainga Ora (https://kaingaora.govt.nz/home-ownership/first-home-grant/apply-for-the-first-home-grant)
You can obtain pre-approval for finance to buy the home by contacting your bank
Once you have found a suitable home and want to make an offer to buy the home you should: –
Talk to one of our experienced residential real estate specialists! We recommend that you talk to us before you sign the purchase agreement! We will talk to you about the following:
- Do you need to make your purchase subject to approval of any conditions? In particular: Finance, Builders Report, LIM Report, Solicitors Approval, Insurance, Valuation, Methamphetamine Testing
- Are you able to pay a deposit once the conditions have been approved and confirmed? Are you using your KiwiSaver or First Home Grant to contribute to the deposit?
- How much time do you need to allow when selecting a settlement date (the date you pay for and move into your home)?
- Have you listed all of the chattels that will be included in the purchase? The usual chattels which may be included are: Oven, Rangehood, Cooktop, Dishwasher, Kitchen Waste Disposal, Light Fittings, Smoke Detectors, Heat Pumps, Heated Towel Rails, Blinds/Curtains, Carpets/Other Fixed Floor Coverings, Burglar Alarm, Garage Door Remotes
- Are you buying the property by yourself or with someone else? If buying with someone else, are you making equal or unequal contributions?
We will also review the record of title for the property (the legal title for the home) and let you know if there is anything on the legal title that you need to be aware of
Once you have signed the purchase agreement
- The real estate agent will forward a copy to us as your lawyer
- We will then work with you to obtain and review the information/reports that you need to confirm any conditions
Once the conditions are approved and confirmed, you have an unconditional purchase agreement. We will then work with you to:
- Finalise your KiwiSaver applications
- Finalise your lending arrangements with your bank
- Confirm suitable insurance for the property
- Make a suitable appointment with you to sign the necessary bank and legal documents
- Prepare a Will for you and discuss Enduring Powers of Attorney
On the day you move into your new home, we will complete your purchase and contact you following settlement to arrange for you to collect keys!
We understand that the process of buying and selling your home can be daunting. We understand that you may have questions. We are here to help and happy to talk to you about any aspect of buying and selling your home. Contact one of our experienced residential real estate specialists today.