Family and Relationship Property

Family and Relationship Property

Family Court Lawyers

Our team has a wealth of experience and expertise in family law. Our specialists are well known for providing comprehensive advice and solutions across Invercargill, Queenstown, Alexandra and surrounding areas.

We take pride in being the best at what we do and are passionate about delivering good solutions about the things that matter most in life – your children, your safety, your financial wellbeing.

Moreover, each of our team members offers a full range of related services and advocacy, including:

Relationship Property

If you are married, in a civil union partnership or in a de facto relationship, and your relationship ends, you will be affected by the Property (Relationships) Act 1976. We can advise you on your rights under the Act. Following the end of a relationship, we can help you to achieve a good property settlement, by agreement or by litigation.

Contracting Out Agreements

You and your partner can reach your own agreement about how your property will be divided if you should separate in the future. A Contracting Out Agreement will identify your property rights clearly and preserve the ownership of assets you or your partner wish to keep separate. We will help you to reach an agreement that is right for you.

Family Trusts and Asset Planning

Providing long-term protection and security for yourselves and your loved ones is a concern for most. We can help you structure and plan ownership to ensure your assets are protected and provide individually tailored solutions for property ownership.

Wills and Enduring Powers of Attorney

Having an up to date Will is one of the most important documents that you can have for your loved ones. It makes sure your wishes are carried out and that arrangements are in place for your family when you pass away. We can help you with:

  • Preparing a new Will, or help you to review your existing one.
  • Preparing Enduring Powers of Attorney which provide safeguards in the event of you becoming physically or mentally incapable.


We can provide services including:

  • Separation Advice
  • Dissolution
  • Domestic Violence

Care of Children and Guardianship Issues

We can assist you to resolve disputes about arrangements for the care of children and help with disputes about making decisions about issues such as where the children attend school, where they live, and whether they can travel overseas (“guardianship disputes”). There have been major changes to the way the Family Court operates. We can provide advice and prepare documents for you to assist you to navigate your way through the system.

This includes:

  • Adoption
  • Paternity
  • Child Support

Court and Mediation Services

Family Court Proceedings, including:

  • Dispute Resolution Services and Mediation
  • Capacity Issues
  • Our specialists advise clients holding enduring powers of attorney or when someone has lost mental capacity.
  • Apply to the Family Court to be appointed as Welfare Guardians and Property Managers for people who have lost mental capacity.
  • Obtain directions from the Court regarding the exercise of their powers as attorneys.
  • Apply to revoke the appointment of an attorney.

Our services are available across Invercargill, Queenstown and Alexandra. Contact us now to find out more about how we can help you with your circumstances.

Let's Chat!